Wednesday, January 23, 2013

When Things Started to Change




 Wind BLOWING!

As usual, Ismael is transforming faster than I am and he’s really looking great.  I can already see the muscle tone reforming and his wind is starting to blow again (inside joke).  It’s encouraging to see in him how good we are being to ourselves.  Exercise has never really been the issue.  We both love working out.  But for people who work out as much and as hard as we do, we are just shooting ourselves in the foot by coming home and throwing down on beer and nachos.  I know for me the battle with the refrigerator has been life long.  Anyone whose known me for a long time knows my weight fluctuates considerably.  It’s never exercise, it’s always food.  I think I read somewhere that weight loss is something like 10% exercise and 90% food.  I’m starting to agree with that statement. In early 2008, after I made some substantial changes in my life and dropped about 70 pounds in a year, I threw away all my fat clothes and promised myself I would never be that heavy again.  I was committing myself to good health and self-control.  Ismael and I met in May of 2008 and we continued on the warpath to taking care of our bodies.  I dropped another 20 pounds after we met because we lived at the gym and trained for marathons together.  We enjoyed life and each other so much that eating was an afterthought.  I thought I had forever changed my relationship with food.  Even when I got pregnant with Blake in September 2009, we continued to eat well, exercise and take care of ourselves.  But around month four, all communications broke down (MAYDAY, CODE BLUE!!!).  Because I was so worried about something going wrong with my pregnancy, I stopped exercising except for walking on the treadmill or outside.  But I quit any real vigorous exercise.  And I replaced exercise with food.  Also my iron levels were so low that, after trying a million alternatives, I had to go back to eating meat which I hadn’t done in over 10 years (except bacon of course because it’s in its own food group).  This started the ball rolling eventually back to fast food which I also hadn’t had in over 10 years because there is nothing to eat at fast food places for vegetarians. I think there was part of Ismael that wanted to stop what was happening, but there was another part of him that was glad to take it down a notch and not be so strict all the time.  We both have little internal fat kids, so between the four of us, we were on a roll that has brought us to where we are today. Time to start eating to live and not living to eat again. But this time we find a balance. We recognize food for what it is: sustenance, energy to go to work, exercise, play with our son, keep the house organized, get shit done! Food is not the answer to sadness, anger, depression, uncertainty, worry, lack of communication and stress!

Beautiful Family


GO TEAM MENDOZA!!!

1 comment: